I thought when we left Kabul that I would not have to think about security all the time anymore. Well, I guess I still have to face it even in the states. As I have been going around to schools to drop off resumes. I noticed that you have to be "buzzed" in by the office staff. Okay, that seems like a great idea to me. I can see why they do that.
Today, I subbed at a school in the local district. It is right in the middle of a neighborhood. The neighborhood looks good. As the teacher explained her procedures, she told me about the release procedure at the end of the day. A bell rings and you release the walkers to go. You need to have the TV on so you can see when the buses pull up out front. As you read the numbers on the bus, you release those students. And during this time, students are called to the front of the school by their car number. Each family is assigned to a number. After 15 minutes, you release any students still in your care to the office.
Flashback to Kabul: Carline - It is the worst time of the day. The object is to get children safely to their bodyguards or families and get them out of there. This could be a good time for an attack. Families are assigned car line numbers. Staff are assigned week long duties to be out there with the students and to keep them calm and quiet. HA! I hated car line duty. My stomach and head hurt just trying to get these students out the gates with the right person.
Today brought it back freshly to my mind. We have come to realize that you don't realize how much stress affects you until you are out of it. When I left the school today, I felt the need to do something normal. So I stopped by the store and picked up a few things. Then I drove home and just did stuff around the house. It wasn't until after dinner that I realized what had me so uptight. So after I had a chat with my Father, I went back to the store and got some ice cream. You know ice cream really does help the healing process. :)
Today, I subbed at a school in the local district. It is right in the middle of a neighborhood. The neighborhood looks good. As the teacher explained her procedures, she told me about the release procedure at the end of the day. A bell rings and you release the walkers to go. You need to have the TV on so you can see when the buses pull up out front. As you read the numbers on the bus, you release those students. And during this time, students are called to the front of the school by their car number. Each family is assigned to a number. After 15 minutes, you release any students still in your care to the office.
Flashback to Kabul: Carline - It is the worst time of the day. The object is to get children safely to their bodyguards or families and get them out of there. This could be a good time for an attack. Families are assigned car line numbers. Staff are assigned week long duties to be out there with the students and to keep them calm and quiet. HA! I hated car line duty. My stomach and head hurt just trying to get these students out the gates with the right person.
Today brought it back freshly to my mind. We have come to realize that you don't realize how much stress affects you until you are out of it. When I left the school today, I felt the need to do something normal. So I stopped by the store and picked up a few things. Then I drove home and just did stuff around the house. It wasn't until after dinner that I realized what had me so uptight. So after I had a chat with my Father, I went back to the store and got some ice cream. You know ice cream really does help the healing process. :)
Whoa. I didn't know grade schools had to have stuff like that. Is it all schools or just that particular one?
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing mom! We love and miss you! I'm working on putting photos of Eliana's first 6 months in two albums (there are over 300 pictures). You and Apa are in there multiple times:)
ReplyDeleteBut carline was so much fun! It was always nice to know that it was at least one area of the school where I was a fairly popular staff member.
ReplyDeleteMaybe because I was too nice.