Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Good Day

    Yesterday I finished unpacking the boxes, I piled stuff that needed to go to the trash and Goodwill. Then I happened to look out the window. It was snowing pretty steady. I thought it would probably stop soon so I waited. Well, it snowed all night. This morning I had a list of things to get done. I was determined that I could do this if my sister in CT could.


   I now know that you need an ice scrapper thingy. I started the car and waited. I will need to learn to allow time to defrost. After 15 minutes, I still couldn't see out the windows. I remembered that I had bought a wooden flat spatula, so I went and got it. It worked, well kinda! So I headed downtown on icy roads. This is totally new to me. In Kabul, we had snow but we had drivers.
   I found the driver license place. It is not the DMV like in CA. I was in and out in twenty minutes with a KY license in hand. It is made right there. I'm impressed. But the best part was that right next door was the downtown library. I figured that I needed a library card too. WOW! This place is amazing. It has its own coffee shop, art gallery and 4 floors of books. I limited myself to 3 books and made myself leave. But I will be back!
   So I'm official, I have a KY driver license and a library card. I didn't realize how easy this move would be for me. My sister has a friend here and I have a friend from Kabul here. Both of these ladies have gone out of their way to let me know where things are and where I can get things. I just started praising God today that He had prepared me for this place ahead of time. This may sound funny but I really missed lunch meat these past two years. Today while I was eating a bologna sandwich, I thanked Him for giving me back the little things that I have missed. I could have gone without them if I could have stayed in Kabul for longer. But you know He knows even the smallest things that are special to you.
  

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's amazing. Sounds like God has gone ahead and prepared the way for you there.

    Snow scares me stiff, though! You have more guts than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful. I am so thankful that your move has been so nice and I am jealous of such a nice library. I can't believe you got your drivers license so fast. I am so thankful that you shared about your bologna sandwich, because that is when I see God's hand the best when He knows the quiet desires of our hearts. I am so thankful that God is in the small things. :) Welcome home. I am so glad God has even provided you friends. :)
    Hugs from me to you,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, driving in snow isn't that bad. Glad you braved it. Life must go on, with or without snow on the roads!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. During my rough day yesterday, I made a bologna sandwich too! In the middle of the first bite I thanked God for tasty meals!

    ReplyDelete